Welcome to our FAQ!

Here you can find information on all things concerning the Bachelor’s Programme in Peace and Development Studies. Please let us know if you have any additional questions, by sending an e-mail to education@u-pad.se


In order to get a BA (bachelor’s) degree:

You need a total of 180 class credits (högskolepoäng) in order to recieve your bachelor’s degree.
Everybody must have taken 90 credits in their major subject, and 30 in their minor subject to recieve this degree.
The additional 60 credits can be in anything from a combination of the internship course, exchange studies, language studies or more studies in your minor subject, as long as it is in courses that are given on university level. As such, you can study whatever the crabs you want really, as long as you make sure to finish both the Peace and Conflict A-course and the Development Studies A-course, and top it off with a C-course.

On getting a double major:

If you are interested in scoring a double major (C-thesis in both Peace and Development), that is perfectly fine! The C-course in Development Studies if given both fall and spring for students of the BA-programme, and the C-course in Peace and Conflict Studies is given during fall semester. Note that you can only have one major on each degree, which means that you would need to apply at examensenheten www.uu.se/examen for two degrees – one with the major Peace and Conflict and one with the Major Development Studies.

Q: What happens if I’ve forgotten to register myself for a course via antagning.se?

A: Take it as a habit to always remind yourself to apply before October 15 and before April 15. Should you miss the deadline turn to the concerned Department and see if there are slots available and explain the situation. If the course you have applied to is a peace & conflict or development course that you have “platsgaranti”, to the administrators will do their best to help you, but if the course is full they can deny you the slot as the platsgaranti strictly speaking applies only to students applying to a course before the deadlines.

Q: What happens if I do not finish a course during the present semester?

A: Don’t Panic.
You always have the right to reregister for a course if you aim to pick up those last credits.
Contact the office or your study adviser at the relevant department for such registrations.
You always have the posibility to do ‘omtentor’ but also remember to fulfil any mandatory assignments.
Even if you took a course in a previous year, your examination will be on the literature for the current semester.
Even if a course is no longer given, you still have the right to fulfil an examination for up to three semesters from when it was discontinued.

Q: How many VG-credits are required for a VG in the entire course?

A: Generally, half of the credits need to be VG-credits. However, in order to get a VG on a C-course you will have to score a VG on your C-thesis

Exchange studies, and other things related to studies outside of Sweden

It is possible to go on exchange studies during the electable semesters (semester 3/4 and semester 6). Exchange studies can only be done at accredited universities. Please contact the Graduation Office (Examensenheten) at Uppsala University to see if the university where you want to study is accredited, otherwise you might risk that the courses you are interested will not be qualified as credits for your bachelors’ degree. This applies for both Development Studies and Peace and Conflict Studies credits.

If you want to study abroad and use your courses, as say Development Studies B or Peace and Conflict Studies B, then your options vary:
– The Department of Government offer exchange-studies with a number of different universities, both European and otherwise, that can count as Development Studies B. Please see Peter Smekal for more information on that.
– The Department of Peace and Conflict Research does not currently offer an exchange-student programme, although it is on its way. Please see this document on information about the future of such a programme. In the meantime it is still possible to study courses of the international relations kind and get them accredited

Questions concerning the Department of Government

Q: I have been on exchange studies and want my classes to be accounted for as a course of Development Studies. What should I do?

A: You have to apply to have your exchange studies accredited as Development Studies courses. No such credits are given per default.
The forms can be found by accessing:  http://www.statsvet.uu.se/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=7GyCx9Nj7wA%3d&tabid=5216&language=sv-SE

Q: How many credits do I need in order to take the Development Studies B and C courses?

A: At time of registration you require:
– At least 22,5 credits from Development Studies A in order to take the B-course.
– At least 22,5 credits from Development Studies B in order to take the C-course.

Advice on internship

The learning that evolves from the interaction between theory and practice is the most effective if a student has finished its studies at the university before the internship. It is favorable to keep to this structure due to a number of reasons; Partly one will not be torn between the requirements of the internship and the “double” requirements from the university. Partly we have experienced that employers are more keen to take in interns that are already done with their studies, as it would make the student more knowledgable and more available to work at all hours with the internship position. Sometimes the internship can also lead to discussions about employment. This would naturally be obstructed if the student still have a number of courses that need to be finished.

Additional information on the C-course may be accessed by entering Studentportalen > any Peace and Conflict Studies course > Mina studier > Filarea > PCR Internship Information


Minor Field Studies (MFS)

If your looking to do some field-work to make your C-thesis more complete, SIDA – through Internationella Programkontoret – offers a scholarship for both BA and MA students. You can apply for MFS during the spring term at the DPCR, to use it for your C-thesis during the fall. If you want to apply for a MFS through the Department of Government such posibilities are given during both the spring and fall semesters. As such it is possible to do field work regardless if you write your Development Studis thesis during the spring or fall semesters – and MFS applications can be handed in the semester before you start the C-course or the same semester as it starts.

For any and all information on the Minor Field Study scholarship, please see Internationella Programkontorets website or talk to Helena Grusell for MFS at the DPCR and Hans Blomkvist for MFS at the Department of Government.

Contact information to some important people:

Helena Grusell, Programme Co-ordinator and your general go-to person
E-mail: helena.grusell@pcr.uu.se
Phone: +46 (0)18 471 76 52

Chris Chau Programme Administrator and Student Counsellor (on maternity leave during the fall 2014)
Phone: +46(0)18 471 23 79

Substitute for Chris during the fall 2014:

Ingalill Blad Ögren
Phone: +46(0)18 471 23 79

Karen Bronéus, Director of Studies at the DPCR
E-mail: Karen.brouneus@pcr.uu.se
Phone:  +46 18 471 23 47

Anna Reuterhäll, Student Counsellor at the Department of Government
E-mail: Anna.Reuterhall@statsvet.uu.se
Phone: +46 (0)18 471 57 24

Peter Smekal, Exchange Studies Co-ordinator at the Department of Government
E-mail: Peter.Smekal@statsvet.uu.se
Phone: +46 (0)18 471 19 90

Hans Blomkvist, MFS Co-ordinator at the Department of Government
E-mail: Hans.Blomkvist@statsvet.uu.se
Telefon: +46 (0)18 471 33 32